January 26, 2009

Compost

We bought a composter this weekend. There is a guy in the Heights that makes them and sells them for much cheaper than you can buy in stores/online. We saw up to $300 for a tumbler composter on Amazon! No thanks! We chose a tumbler because we could seal it up (remember the mysterious holes and the fence destroyer?? She also likes kitchen scraps.). It should make a batch of compost every 21 days or so. I bet it won't be as fast during the winter. We started our first batch yesterday, so we'll see. I am just starting to learn about composting, but we had a good deal of "brown material" i.e. leaves and some "green material" i.e. kitchen scraps to start composting with. Once the grass starts growing, we can add grass clippings. I am really looking forward to consistently nicer weather, so I can spend more afternoons outside without getting cold. :) This week promises to be good, but yesterday was supposed to be sunny too.....


No comments:

Post a Comment